Corning Incorporated Industrial Engineer in Goleta, California
Date: Feb 20, 2018
Location: Goleta, CA, US, 93117
Req #: 18281
Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise inspecialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
At Corning, our growth is fueled by a commitment to innovation. We succeed through sustained investment in research & development, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges. We are a four-time National Medal of Technology winner thanks to our technology leadership and R&D environment, which attract and enable the best scientific minds in the world. This pipeline of talent has brought life-changing innovation to your fingertips for more than 160 years.
Scope of Position (i.e. projects involved with and role within group):
• Work with together with the team members across Corning’s Industrial Engineering departments as well as across functions to drive efficiency as we scale up from development to High Volume Manufacturing (HVM.)
• Own cost and capacity models, factory and personnel utilization, cycle time analysis.
• Collate and organize data in such a way as to present to senior management ways to improve factory output, reduce cycle time, and reduce cost.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
• Understand and initiate work on process improvements across the Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Operations, and Module Engineering organizations.
• Work closely with the IE systems and capacity planning groups to implement increased automated data provision for capacity planning, FAB simulation, and advanced reporting and decision support systems.
• Perform all activities in a safe and responsible manner and support all Environmental, Health, Safety & Security requirements and programs
• Maintains knowledge of and expertise in the latest developments in the areas of business analysis systems and technologies; defines their applicability to Corning; develops and applies these systems and technologies through successful projects
• Develops and executes project plans; determines requirements, deliverables, resources, timing/milestones, and risks
• With only general guidelines, reviews alternative solutions to problems and prepares economic comparisons; recommends to management plans of action after considering intangibles and economic factors; proposes plans, coordinates the implementation of major projects
• Identifies areas of potential manufacturing related productivity improvement; generates ideas for, formulates, and recommends systems, programs and projects
• Communicates ideas and project status clearly and professionally through graphic and written media, and oral presentations. Provides necessary documentation of activities, results, assignments.
• Performs cost studies, economic comparisons and justification analysis; evaluates systems, methods, human factors, work flow, and other opportunities for productivity improvement
• Coordinates the efforts of project teams; provides project team facilitation and leadership
• Responsible for the accuracy of work performed; takes a proactive approach to ensure quality of work
Travel Requirements (please note if international): Up to 15%, may include some international Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time: 40+ hours
Education and Experience (minimum required for consideration)
• BS in Industrial or other Engineering/Technical field of study
• 5-10+ years of related experience Required Skills (These are skills that candidates MUST possess)
• Working knowledge of: Lean Manufacturing concepts and principles, cycle time reduction, cost analysis, cost modeling, manufacturing/business processes, Value Stream Mapping, line balance/staffing, work cell design
• Excellent oral and written communication skills. Able to sell ideas to Senior Management
• Experience in Lean transformation of a business and/or manufacturing processes
• Conviction and passion for the discipline
• Expert level knowledge & application of Excel
• Working knowledge of IE simulation tool(s) (e.g. SIMUL8)
• Working knowledge and application of PowerPoint, Microsoft Word, etc.
• Customer oriented; meet customer needs with quality results
• Ability to build effective working relationships with others across the company
• Self-motivated, independent, flexible, quick learner
• Able to manage multiple priorities successfully
• Strong technical and organization skills
• Manufacturing experience
Desired Skills (These are skills that would be nice for candidates to possess)
• M.S. in Industrial Engineering or related discipline.
• Strong preference toward candidate with experience in semiconductor or MEMs manufacturing.
• Experience in product & process transfer from Development into Manufacturing
• Working knowledge of supplementary analysis tools such as Tableau, Crystal Ball, etc.
• Clean room protocols
• DOE, SPC and other statistical tools.
• High volume manufacturing experience.
• Utilizing Lean tools in support of new product development projects and their transfer into manufacturing environment
• Knowledge of (Lean) organizational design
• Lean Six Sigma Black Belt
• Knowledge of basic inventory management techniques, planning systems/scheduling systems, supply chain management
• Knowledge of design for manufacturability/assembly concepts, product life cycle management concepts, performance/line measures, procurement systems
• Experience in DFx (Design for …. manufacturing, test, sourcing, etc.)
• Familiarity with the Supply Chain Operations Reference (SCOR) framework
• Soft Skills (Communication/Team/Leadership)
• People: Interpersonal Savvy, Perseverance
o Acts Quickly and Decisively
o Acts with Integrity and Authenticity
o Demonstrate Drive and Commitment
o Focus on Customers
o Foster Innovation & Risk Taking
o Inspire and Motivate o Leverage Talent
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Nearest Major Market: Santa Barbara
Nearest Secondary Market: Santa Maria